CBD, or cannabidiol, has gained significant attention over the past few years for its therapeutic health benefits. Whether you’re new to CBD or looking to refine your understanding, it’s essential to educate yourself about CBD dosage and consumption methods. This blog post will serve as your guide, providing insights into what CBD is, how to determine your ideal dosage, understand CBD strengths, choose the right product for your health concerns, and the pros and cons of various consumption methods.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, is a compound found in cannabis plants, of which industrial hemp is amongst. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound in cannabis, CBD does not produce a “high”. It is, however, believed to offer a range of health benefits, from managing body discomfort to reducing extreme stress. You can read more on how CBD and other cannabinoids work here.
How to Understand CBD Strengths
CBD strength is typically measured in milligrams (mg) per serving. It’s crucial to understand this as it influences the effects you might experience. Understanding the strength required to achieve the results you are looking for isn’t always straightforward as every person’s individual needs are truly different. For instance, a low-strength CBD product (10-15 mg per serving) may be suitable for general health and managing mild symptoms or for individuals new to CBD. In contrast, a high-strength product (100mg per serving or more) might be more effective for moderate-severe symptoms. However even those new to CBD may require a higher strength from the get-go.
Tips to Determining the Strength Best Suited for You
Assess Your Needs and Goals
- Symptom Severity: Consider the severity of the symptoms you’re looking to manage. For mild conditions, a lower strength might suffice, while more acute symptoms might require higher strength.
- Overall Wellness Goals: Are you using CBD for relaxation, sleep support, or something else? Align the strength with your specific goals.
Start Low and Go Slow
- Begin with a Lower Strength: Starting with a lower strength allows you to gauge how your body responds to CBD without overwhelming it.
- Adjust Gradually: If the initial strength doesn’t meet your needs, you can gradually increase it, observing how your body reacts.
Consider Your Body Weight and Metabolism
- Body Weight: Generally, individuals with higher body weight may require a higher CBD strength.
- Metabolism: Your metabolism can influence how quickly your body processes CBD, so consider this when selecting a strength.
Read Product Labels Carefully
- Understand the Labeling: Look for clear information on the total amount of CBD in the product and the amount per serving. This will help you understand what you’re getting.
- Look for Third-Party Lab Testing: Reputable products will often have third-party lab results available. These can provide additional assurance of the product’s strength and quality.
Consult a Healthcare Professional
- Expert Guidance: A healthcare provider familiar with CBD can assess your medical history and recommend a starting dosage based on your specific needs. Please note that naturopaths, cannabis doctors, and homeopathic doctors may be the best medical professional to speak with in terms of understanding cannabinoids, their benefits, and specific dosages. Most Western medicine healthcare professionals avoid recommending CBD as it is not FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved.
- Interaction with Medications: They can also check for any potential interactions with other medications you’re taking.
Understanding the Self-Titration Method for CBD
The self-titration method is a process of gradually adjusting your CBD dosage to find the amount that gives you the desired effects. This method is helpful because everyone’s ideal CBD dosage is different, influenced by factors such as body weight, metabolism, and the nature of the symptoms being addressed.
Here are our Best Suggestions to Utilize the Self-Titration Method
- Choose your product. Need Help? Check out our Product Choosing Guide Here!
- Check the suggested serving on the bottle.
- Start at the suggested serving size or less.
- Increase the amount consumed gradually over one to two weeks time until relief is achieved.
- For psychoactive products, we suggest starting with the smallest amount listed on the bottle and gradually increasing rather than starting with the suggested serving size if you are new to using psychoactive compounds.
Note: If you are taking medications, it is recommended to take cannabinoids 1-2 hours before or after taking your prescribed medications.
Remember, patience is key. Adjusting your dosage too quickly can make it difficult to identify your optimal level.
Differences in CBD Consumption Methods
There are several ways to consume CBD, including inhalation (smoking or vaping), sublingually (under the tongue), oral ingestion (capsules), and edibles. Each method has its pros and cons, and the best one for you depends on your individual needs and lifestyle.
- Sublingual consumption involves placing CBD oil or tincture under the tongue. The CBD is absorbed through the capillaries under your tongue, offering relatively fast effects. This method allows for precise dosage control. Effects typically are felt within 15-30 minutes, lasting 4-6 hours.
- Inhalation offers rapid effects as the CBD is absorbed directly into the bloodstream via the lungs. However, this method may not be suitable for those with respiratory issues. Effects typically are noticed within 1 – 5 minutes lasting about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Edibles, such as gummies or chocolates, offer a tasty and discreet way to consume CBD. The effects are typically noticed within 30 minutes to 2 hours, lasting 3 – 4 hours.
- Oral Ingestion, capsules are a familiar and convenient way to consume CBD. The effects are typically noticed within 30 minutes to 1 hour, lasting approximately 4 hours.
Understanding CBD dosage and consumption methods is an important part of benefiting from this natural compound. With the right knowledge, you can tailor your CBD experience to fit your specific needs and health goals. Continue to educate yourself and don’t hesitate to seek professional advice when needed. Your journey with CBD is personal, so embrace the learning process and enjoy the journey.
Feel free to share your experiences or ask any questions in the comments section below. Your insights could help others on their CBD journey!
Don’t forget to tag us @illuminent_life on Instagram and share your CBD experiences with us. We love hearing how our products bring happiness and wellness into your lives!
Still Not Sure Which Product is Right For You?
Check out our comprehensive guide to choosing the Illuminent product (s) that may be best for you to start with Click Here
Ready to Become the Mission?
Becoming an Illuminent Affiliate is about so much more than just earning a commission for a product you sell – it’s about empowerment.